[Open-bio-l] Open-Bio Main Wiki Page

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 18:53:34 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Dave Clements <clements at nescent.org> wrote:
> Hi Peter, Chris,
>
> The GMOD home page (http://gmod.org) news item list is created from
> the GMOD News RSS Feed.
>
> The home page renders the feed using the FeedImport extension (
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FeedImport).
>
> The RSS feed is generated from the GMOD News page (
> http://gmod.org/wiki/GMOD_News) using the WikiArticleFeeds extension (
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiArticleFeeds).
>
> My memory is that FeedImport was a tough install due to its dependency on
> Magpie and Snoopy.  I just updated the WikiArticleFeeds extension and that
> was easy.
>
> Be warned that something in the process is sensitive to bad MediaWiki
> markup.  That is, if you, for example, don't close a tag in your news item
> text, your list of news items may be garbage until you fix it and the feed
> refreshes.
>
> I also have a sneaking suspicion that rendering the news feed on the home
> page might be slowing down load times noticeably.  :-(
>
> Hope this helps,

Thanks for the info Dave - its enough to know its beyond my
current knowledge of MediaWiki! Perhaps Chris or someone
else want to try the extra plugin option...

In the meantime (having been given access by Chris - thanks),
I have just copied the simple RSS embedding as already
in use on the Biopython page.

How does it look now - hopefully a worthwhile improvement
in itself? http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Main_Page

I would also suggest we consider making the "News" page
just redirect to the news server...