[Open-bio-l] a common repository for test datasets/use cases for all Bio* projects

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:06:08 UTC 2008

On 12/4/08, Jason Stajich <jason at bioperl.org> wrote:
> I don't know if this is really the best email list for this -- although not
> sure what other common list should be used.

Hi Jason,
thank you very much for the answer.
I was going to post this mail again to the other OpenBio lists to see
if there were more people interested, but I decided to wait a bit
since I am not extremely confident with these concepts myself yet and
wanted to study them a bit more.

To be honest I was going to discuss about testing with some
professional programmers I met some months ago, which seemed very
confident with the concepts of testing, to don't say that they are
obsessed.

For example I have it not clear how a use case could be written to be
the best useful for all the different Bio::* projects, and other
things.

>  We actually a started a project like this many moons ago, but no one
> contributed examples...
>
>  http://code.open-bio.org/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/biodata/

I see, thank you very much for the link.
On the biopython list they told me that a big issue is the license
with which the data is released. I don't have any inconvenience in
contributing examples with a GPL or without license, but I understand
other people could do.
Somebody told me that there were some interesting discussions on
scipy.org, but I couldn't find them.

>  We can start a common SVN repository for this if you like or a github on
> OBF if that is more likely to garner contributions.

Well, to be honest I prefer git :). But it is the same for me with any
RCS system, moreover this are examples and not code so the choice will
be less important.

What I think that could be useful for this project is a ticket
tracking system, or better said a feature request system, to keep
track of all the things needed.

I used once a system called assembla:
- http://www.assembla.com/spaces/biotest/tickets
Which seems very cool to use, but it is not open source and maybe
bugzilla would suffice.

>  In terms of documentation - you are certainly welcome to make a
> documentation repository but I would argue a wiki or wiki-like soln would be
> best for documentation.

Well, basically I have three years in front of me in which I will work
in the same field (I am a first year phd student in a population
genetics laboratory) and in theory I will have to write a lot of test
cases and controls anyway, which I don't mind contributing.

However, as I was saying before I am not very experienced in writing
use cases, and it will take me a bit (let's say some months) to learn
how to write them well.

>  Whether a common wiki can be maintained among the projects (or merge the
> wikifarms someday) is something to contemplate too.

I agree, for example bioperl's wiki has many useful descriptions on
file formats that the other bio*projects miss.

--

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it