[EMBOSS] Is it reasonable to build EMBOSS with a system copy of the zlib?

Charles Plessy charles-listes-emboss at plessy.org
Tue May 25 08:24:42 EDT 2010

Dear EMBOSS developers,

I just realised that EMBOSS uses a local copy of the zlib. Doing so is
discouraged in large distributions like Debian and Fedora, where source code
factorisation is an essential strategy for keeping thousands of packages up to
date. I am tempted to apply to the Debian source package the patch that is
already in use in Fedora, to use the system's zlib (now version 1.2.3.4, but
version 1.2.5 is under way).

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/EMBOSS/devel/EMBOSS-6.2.0-system-zlib.patch?revision=1.1&view=markup

Does EMBOSS depend on a specific modification of the zlib?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team