[EMBOSS] possibility of packages for Debian Etch.

charles-listes-emboss at plessy.org charles-listes-emboss at plessy.org
Thu Oct 11 05:06:13 EDT 2007

Le Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:36:04AM +0200, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio a écrit :
> 2007/10/10, Charles Plessy <charles-listes-emboss at plessy.org>:
> >
> > Because Debian Etch is the stable version, it does not receive new
> > packages unless they fix security issues or grave bugs. The emboss
> > package for Debian will never be part of Etch nor its updates.
> >

> Really?
> I didn't know emboss had grave bugs.

Dear Giovanni,

I have been unclear. The reason why EMBOSS is not in Debian Etch is
because its Debian package was not ready when Etch has been released.
Furthermore, it is the policy of Debian to only accept changes related
to security or grave bugs. Therefore, Debian Etch will never contain the
Debian packages we prepared for EMBOSS.

I will announce on this list when the package will be available through
backports.org.

> Are you saying they can't be fixed?
> I can't find many references to bugs in emboss, but maybe you are
> referring to bugs like this:
> - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=427439 ?

Yes, the current package still has some quality issues. However, all the
ones reported so far are solved in our SVN repository. I hope that I can
update the Debian package of EMBOSS in Debian Sid soon.

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-emboss/emboss/trunk/debian/changelog?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

(If one explores a bit this repository, he can have a glimpse of what we
have in the pipeline...).

> Thank you very much: I think many people are interested, expecially
> from the Ubuntu users community.

By the way, if you ask to a MOTU Science, I think that it is possible to
fast-track the emboss packages into Ubuntu...

>  Maybe you can just add the link to debian backports in the help page.

The new package.debian.org website advertises the backports. See for
example the page for OpenOffice.org: http://packages.debian.org/openoffice.org

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy