[BioSQL-l] Question about VARCHAR BINARY

Andreas Draeger andreas.draeger at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jun 22 13:11:31 UTC 2009

Florian Mittag wrote:
> I'm new to BioSQL and just started using it, when I noticed that some tables
> contain columns with type VARCHAR BINARY, e.g. the column "name" in the
> table "biodatabase". May I ask, what is the reason behind this?
>
> We switched to a DB2 database for some performance issues and set up the
> BioSQL schema, and MySQL's VARCHAR BINARY corresponds with DB2's VARBINARY,
> which is somewhat annoying because the content of those columns is displayed
> hexadecimal on command line interface and the visualizer we are using just
> shows "BINARY, x bytes".

Dear all,

I encountered the same problem since I am now also using DB2 with
BioJava bindings using Hibernate.

When retrieving a Namespace object from the biodatabase table, the
getName() method returns a hexadecimal code instead of the desired name
String. However, this happened although I queried the database using the
String "Genebank". This means Hibernate was able to obtain the correct
object using the name "Genebank", but converts everything to hex codes.

This seems to be related to the column having a binary type. I tried to
get into this but without any success. It would be great to get any help
on this.

Cheers,
Andreas

--