[BioSQL-l] problem loading NCBI_taxonomy database into BioSQL bioseqdb

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Sep 3 22:50:04 UTC 2008

On Sep 3, 2008, at 2:16 PM, Nick Matzke wrote:

> [...]
> mws2:~ nick$ perldoc -l DBI
>
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10/site/lib/Bundle/DBI.pm

Can you pull up this file in an editor and see what's in there? I
think this may just be the CPAN bundle definition (which modules to
install together), but not the actual DBI module itself.

> mws2:~ nick$ sudo perldoc -l DBI
> Password:
>
> /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.10/site/lib/DBI.pm

If you inspect this one, it will probably be the actual DBI module.

So I suspect that your Perl module search paths aren't the same
between executing as root or not. If you do 'perl -V' (capital-v) you
will see the include path array (@INC) printed at the end. It should
be identical whether under sudo or not, but I suspect that for you it
will not be the same.

If that's indeed the case then the question is why is the path
different. As the one for you as normal user is wrong, you can look
into your shell initialization files (.tcshrc, .cshrc for csh/
tcsh; .profile, .bash_profile, .login for bash) whether you see
anything there that aims to mess with PERL5LIB.

Or simply do 'echo $PERL5LIB' w/ and w/o sudo. Should be the same.

	-hilmar