[BioSQL-l] Gene Cluster

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Jan 28 02:48:48 UTC 2008

Hi Raoul,

On Jan 21, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Raoul Jean Pierre Bonnal wrote:

> [...] Using bioentries is right if you have an entry which
> represents a single
> cluser. Unfortunately I have to represent clusters inside "complete"
> genome, so a bioentry can have multiple clusters.

Note that relationships between bioentries are no different from
those between seqfeatures. A bioentry, or seqfeature, can have
relationships with any number of other bioentries and seqfeature,
respectively. The uniqueness constraint only says that between any
two bioentries, or seqfeatures, there can only be one relationship of
one type (but multiple ones if the types are different).

>> Obviously, you can do the same for seqfeatures using
>> feature_relationship.
> Watching at BioSQL' schema, this seems to be te only solution for
> representing clusters in a general way.

See above as to whether this is the only way or not. The choice
depends on what kind of objects you are trying to relate to each other.

> Now which is for you the most correct Feature Key misc_feature or
> source ?

Do you mean for type of the feature or type of the relationship? I'm
a bit confused. For relating two features to each other it doesn't
matter what type they are of; however, if they are sequence
annotation features, you may want to make sure that the types and the
hierarchy are compliant with the Sequence Ontology.

> I'm using BioRuby and working on it for interfacing it with BioSQL

Cool!

	-hilmar