[BioSQL-l] left_value and right_value in taxon table

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Apr 12 02:48:29 UTC 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 8:50 PM, Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:
>>> That may have been in true in its beginnings but hasn't been for
>>> a long time :-) It only updates changed nodes, adds new ones, and
>>> deletes retired ones (unless you say --nodelete). The script does
>>> recompute *all* nested set values, though.
>> Ahh right, I remember all that now.  It was the wiping out of the
>> left/right values that I was thinking of.
>> Thanks,
>> -Aaron
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe you have meant the other taxonomy loading script? ;-)
>
> http://code.open-bio.org/svnweb/index.cgi/biosql/view/biosql-schema/
> trunk/scripts/load_itis_taxonomy.pl

This loads a taxonomy too, but into the PhyloDB tables (because the
ITIS taxonomy consists of multiple hierarchies, not a single one like
NCBI).

> <quote>
> You can use this script to load the taxonomy data into a fresh
> instance of
> biosql. Otherwise an already existing ITIS tree will be deleted first.
> </quote>
>
> I just don't understand why the very first sentence of the
> documentation
> within the scripts says something about 'update':
>
> <quote>
> This script loads or updates a biosql schema with phylodb extension
> with the ITIS taxonomy as a phylogenetic trees, one tree for each
> kingdom.
> </quote>

The 'update' here is forward looking :) At this point there won't
really be an update as any existing trees within the ITIS namespace
are deleted first.

	-hilmar