[BioSQL-l] BioSQL-1.0.0 + bioperl-db_1.5.2_100 + gbrowse question

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Apr 9 04:31:31 UTC 2008

Hi Doug,

thanks for your sleuthing work, it's much appreciated. I'm sure
someone among the GBrowse crowd (I've copied the GBrowse mailing
list) can make the fix according to what you found out, and they can
help you out with the other problems you are having too if you
elaborate what the issues are that you are seeing.

As for the path tables, which ones are you referring to? I'm not sure
the GBrowse BioSQL adapter uses any of them, so even if you do
populate them it wouldn't change much. There is the load_ontology.pl
script in Bioperl-db that can automatically compute the transitive
closure for ontology terms, but as far as I am aware the feature or
sequence loading scripts don't do that for seqfeature_path or
bioentry_path, respectively.

	-hilmar

On Apr 7, 2008, at 4:51 PM, doug brown wrote:

> [...]
> and I guess still uses, 'host' for that purpose. The distributed
> sample file 06.biosql.conf specified 'host' rather than 'location'.
> Here is the correct configuration file section that now works for me:
>
> description = Magnaporthe grisea V5 genbank BioSQL
> db_args     = driver    mysql
>               dbname    M_grisea_genbank_biosql
>               location  mycelium.fgl.ncsu.edu
>               user      www
>               pass      ""
>               namespace genbank
>               version   1
>
> gbrowse starts up OK now. Could you please tell me whom would be
> the responsible party so that I can send him/her a note?  There are
> also other problems with the file that I am trying to resolve.
> Thank you.
>
> Now I need to figure out how to get gbrowse to display all of my
> features (I finally have a database rich enough to represent them
> but not so complex as to be unwieldy) .....
>
> Oh, I noticed that the various path tables are not populated and
> one piece of documentation said something about "... database
> dependent...". Could you point me to any code samples that populate
> those tables? Or, perhaps, pointers to specific mailing list
> message chains even.
>
> In general, any clues or bread crumbs would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Doug Brown
>
> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but the error you are
>> seeing is raised by code with GBrowse. I'd recommend that you post
>> this to the GBrowse list. I have tried to trace the meaning of the
>> Gbrowse conf parameters, and it seems to me that biodbname is
>> obsolete and should be namespace instead. However, I also can't
>> find where the error is being generated using the error message as
>> guide, so I suspect you are using an outdated version of GBrowse.
>> The folks on the Gbrowse list should be able to tell you more
>> specifics, though.
>>
>>  -hilmar
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2008, at 3:26 PM, doug brown wrote:
>>> Hello Hilmar,
>>>
>>>   First off, congratulations for achieving the version 1.0
>>> release of BioSQL.
>>>
>>> I am attempting to get BioSQL working with bioperl and gbrowse.
>>> All are, I believe, the most recent versions of the software.
>>> Unfortunately, I cam running into problems with getting gbrowse
>>> to access the BioSQL database.
>>>
>>> It is my sincere hope that my problem is a configuration issue.
>>> However, after trying multiple permutations of gbrowse
>>> configuration params and much trawling through the bioperl code,
>>> I am unable to resolve the problem. Could you take a moment and
>>> see if there is an obvious solution to my problem?
>>>
>>> I have long awaited the 1.0 mature release of BioSQL and I am
>>> eager to start using it in place my my ad hoc in-house databases!
>>>
>>> Here is the error from the apache log files:

>>> marray.fgl.ncsu.edu is the web server
>>> mycelium.fgl.ncsu.edu is the database server