[BioSQL-l] [Gmod-gbrowse] gbrowse details/record view with biosql

Genevieve DeClerck gad14 at cornell.edu
Tue May 23 19:38:31 UTC 2006

Hi Hilmar,

I apologize in advance if I'm talking about something that is well
documented somewhere but I'm still having trouble understanding exactly
what I need to do to get a biosql database loaded in such a way so that
it can interact fully with gbrowse - it seems to be half way there.

I use load_seqdatabase.pl to load the genome sequence (single sequence
in fasta format) into a biosql database but I populate the db with
features using what I thought was a GFF-centric approach, not with
load_seqdatabase.pl -- see my code in #4 below.

Here is exactly what I do:

1) Create a mysql database called 'test_biosql' with correct permissions
2) Load the biosql schema:

	mysql --user=xx --password=xx test_biosql <
/usr/local/biosql-schema/sql/biosqldb-mysql.sql

3) Use load_seqdatabase.pl to load the single genomic dna sequence:

	load_seqdatabase.pl -dbuser=xx -dbpass=xx -dbname test_biosql2
-namespace NC_004578 -format fasta 6853.fasta

4) I then use a script I wrote to load the SeqFeatures which are in gff
format in a file i pass in as as arg ($in). Here is the code:

# read gff file into gff io object
my $gffio = Bio::Tools::GFF->new(-file=> $in, -gff_version => 3);

# create a Bio::DB::DBAdaptorI implementing object
my $db = Bio::DB::BioDB->new(-database   => $dbname,
                              -port       => $port,
                              -dbname     => $database,
                              -driver     => $driver,
                              -user       => $user,
                              -pass       => $pass,
                              );

# get appropriate object adaptor
my $adp = $db->get_object_adaptor("Bio::SeqI");

my $acc = "NC_004578"; # the genome seq id already in the db
my $seq = Bio::Seq->new(-accession_number => $acc,
			-display_id => $acc,
			-primary_id => $acc,
                         -namespace => $acc);

# Locate entry matching the unique key attributes and populate a
# persistent object with this entry.
my $dbseq = $adp->find_by_unique_key($seq);

# insert features from gff file into database.
while (my $feat = $gffio->next_feature()) {
   $dbseq->add_SeqFeature($feat);
   $dbseq->store;
   $dbseq->commit();
}

Is there additional code I should have here? I realize you're not a
expert/user of gbrowse.. and this problem seems to be related to the
gbrowse_details cgi script, which you probably are not familiar with.
But I'm CC'ing the lists in case anyone else has some clues. I do
appreciate any insight you might have though. It would be good to know
if I'm doing all that I need to do to fully and correctly populate a
biosql db with GFF/SeqFeature.

Thanks,
Genevieve