[BioSQL-l] Re: gene ontology questions (bug)

Marc Colosimo mcolosim at brandeis.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:35:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> > [snip]
> >

> >> You need to upgrade to the latest schema version. Ontology_term was
> >> renamed to term in the Singapore-version (which is essentially the CVS
> >> head).
> >
> > Got todays cvs for bioperl
>
> also bioperl-db? I fixed a couple of issues there too a week or so ago.

yep!

> > and  tried one more time to load it. It still
> > dies, but much later. I don't know if this is a real bug in
> > load_ontology
> > or in the GO file.
> >
> > perl load_ontology.pl --dbname bioseqdb --dbuser mcolosim --driver Pg
> > ~/Affymetrix/function.ontology
> > Parsing input ...
> >         ... terms
> > Could not store GO:0030693 (caspase activity):
> >
> > ------------- EXCEPTION  -------------
>
> This is pretty strange. Is this the first term in the input file?
>
> The strange thing is that normally the message about the preceding root
> cause is printed. Did you turn off DBI PrintErrors? (Even if you did
> there should be a message.) Are you sure you didn't trim off some
> preceding message?

I didn't touch the script and that was the whole out put.

> You can check by GO_ID whether you actually have the respective term in
> the database (and if so, whether it has the same name).

There is a bug! But whose does it belong to, I don't know.

bioseqdb=# select term_id, name, identifier from term where name =
'caspase activity';
 term_id |       name       | identifier
---------+------------------+------------
     681 | caspase activity | GO:0004199
(1 row)

As you see, caspase activity was entered with a different identifier.

bioseqdb=# \d term
[snip]
Indexes: term_pkey primary key btree (term_id),
         term_identifier_key unique btree (identifier),
         term_name_key unique btree (name, ontology_id),
         term_ont btree (ontology_id)

And I think the name needs to be unique! D'oh!

Marc