[BioRuby] bioruby development process / real life usage / visions?

Isaac Xin Pei isaacpei at gmail.com
Thu May 25 02:13:49 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I am very curious of the development process of bioruby, especially what the
vision for bioruby project among the open bio projects?
According to my understanding,

- bioperl has the largest users community due to the history reason, rather
than the languate itself

- biopython solved the OOP issue in bioperl,  and I like the language itself
   however, the biopython project in particular seems to have a rather loose
developing process
   I am just not sure if I decide to pick it for everyday usage / long term
programming project, it will help

- bioruby:
  the library/class seems comprehensive
  the codes looks very clean
  first impression of programming using bioruby is that it does follow KISS
principle
  : yet questions
          - the devloping process
         - does it have a large user community (or a large
community/bioinformatics/biologists in Japan?)
         - the vision of the project?

sorry for so many questions.

in my research I have come to the point to using a programming language to
investigage possible hypothesis in the genome, as well as a programming
language to ease everyday bench work design ...

hope to get some insights from you

thanks!

--

Best ,  Isaac

- "A word fitly spoken Is like apples of gold in network of
silver. " Proverbs 25:11