[Biopython] What is our thinking about RCSB BCIF format?

Moth, Christopher W chris.moth at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 21 12:26:32 EST 2024

I apologize if this question is already under discussion elsewhere and I am missing it.  Redirection welcome.

After clinging to python2 for ages, the RCSB seems to finally released its own python_3_ based BCIF parser....

https://www.rcsb.org/news/feature/65a1af31c76ca3abcc925d0c

.... and I would thinkbiopython at biopython.org that there would be demand from the Bipython community for a faster cif parser in the current age of huge Cryo-EM structures....

Is there any initiative to bolt-on the RCSB parser to biopython (bolt on our mmcif dictionary or so)?
.. or perhaps write our own binary parser in pure python?
... or perhaps ignore "binary format" as fundamentally utterly non-pythonic?

Thanks for sharing news of directions or wisdom.