[Biopython] fetching chromosome sizes without gff file?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:59:56 UTC 2017

Hmm.

Using the NCBI Entrez API, you could certainly download these as
FASTA or GenBank files, either of which would give you the length.
But I don't think that offers GFF files.

I don't work on model organisms, but I'd suggest ENSEMBL might
be a good bet - but we don't yet have a Biopython module for that?

http://www.ensembl.org/
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/512

It might be worth looking at bioservices for this?

https://github.com/cokelaer/bioservices

Peter