[Biopython] Converting transcript coordinates to genome coordinates

Reece Hart reece at harts.net
Fri Jul 7 05:04:05 UTC 2017

The hgvs package does some of what you seek for sequence variants written
using HGVS nomenclature standards. In this context, perhaps the most
important feature to point out is that it correctly handles cases where the
genome-transcript alignment contains indels.

See https://github.com/biocommons/hgvs for features, installation, and
examples, and http://hgvs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ for extended
documentation.

If hgvs doesn't do what you want, you may want to at least use the
exon-wise alignments in UTA. All coordinates are from the source databases
(NCBI, UCSC, Ensembl); the alignment here is only a n-w alignment of the
exons to generate a cigar string. https://github.com/biocommons/uta, and
publicly visible at uta.biocommons.org:5432 (postgresql).

-Reece