[Biopython] LOCUS name length on GenBank output: option to adjust?

Kevin Bonham kevbonham at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:57:06 UTC 2017

I just wanted to note that there was a similar discussion in #747
<https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/747> which I submitted about
a year ago. I'm not sure if it adds anything to the discussion, but since
the issue and Bastien's proposed change is similar to what I suggested I
thought I'd throw it out there.

I think the behavior implemented in #802
<https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/802> is a good solution, and
agree additional complexity is not advisable. In the situation I linked to
above, I ended up storing the longer names in a dictionary and used short
keys for everything that biopython dealt with. Then when I was all done, I
went back and re-wrote the locus lines using the dictionary and normal file
I/O. It's a messy hack but I can go dig up the code if it would be helpful.

Cheers!
Kevin

Lecturer, Harvard Medical School
617-432-2210