[Biopython] triple align

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 12 09:46:47 UTC 2017

Not within Biopython alone, no.

I would do a codon-aware alignment by aligning the protein sequence
(e.g. with MUSCLE), and then "back-translate" the amino acids to the
original codons by threading the original nucleotide sequence onto the
protein alignment.

You can do that part within Biopython, here's a script of mine for this
with a wrapper for use within Galaxy:

https://github.com/peterjc/pico_galaxy/blob/master/tools/align_back_trans/align_back_trans.py

(Right now this does not have a proper command line API)

Peter