[Biopython] Editing an Bio.Seq.Seq object

Sean Brimer skbrimer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 20:36:21 UTC 2016

Hello Biopython users,

I'm trying to create a script that will allow me to add 'N' to a final
fasta of a template-guided assembly. I have already posted this question on
BioStars and received some good feedback and with it I feel I'm 99% done
with what I am trying to complete.

I am using python3 and Biopython 1.66

The link to the BioStars post is here: https://www.biostars.org/p/179755/

The code seems to do fine on making a dictionary of the coverage file and
then making a set containing only the "no coverage" areas. I can edit the
fasta header information i.e. new id, new description however I am unable
to make an editted version of the Seq object. I have tried using the str()
function and the .tomutable() function in several ways but none of them
seem to be giving me my expected output. I suspect the error is in how I'm
trying to call/edit the Seq function but from the tutorial guide I'm not
sure why it's not working.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sean