[Biopython] aligning a bound ligand from one PDB complex to a reference structure?

João Rodrigues j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 22:39:25 UTC 2016

Hi Rik,

>From what I understand, you just want to align the structures (including
the ligand) based on the protein only. The align command in Pymol is
deceptively simple. To replicate this in Biopython you need a sequence
alignment, to find the matching pairs between the two structures, followed
by a superimposition based on this matching.

I wrote a small script that does what I think you want:
https://gist.github.com/JoaoRodrigues/e3a4f2139d10888c679eb1657a4d7080

The trick is basically to get the rotation matrix (from Superimpose) based
only the CAs and then apply that transformation on every atom of the second
(mobile) structure. In you case, apply the transformation necessary to
align all the CAs of 4DMN onto those of 3AO1 to all atoms of 3AO1.

Let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,

João