[Biopython] [Biopython-dev] Experimenting with migrating wiki to GitHub pages

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:22:46 UTC 2016

Both BioPerl.org and BioJava.org are now pointing at
GitHub Pages sites.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes - I'm also hoping to switch biopython.org to the GitHub
> pages version ASAP (and we the OBF need to write a blog
> post about this too):
>
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io
> http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Biopython
>
> I made some progress on the migration, and will tackle the
> category pages next,

That's working now, meaning most of the content is usable.
There are other minor issues, but as far as I can tell, nothing
we couldn't fix after making the switch to GitHub pages live.

https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/issues

Please do have a look round the conversion to see if you
can spot any problems with it, relevant pages:

http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Biopython
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Download
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Mailing_lists
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Documentation
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Category:Cookbook
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/SourceCode
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Participants
http://biopython.github.io/wiki/Scriptcentral

> then "borrow" some of Andreas' styling
> work as showcased on the (now live) http://biojava.org site.

This is where I am most hoping for help, tracking issue:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io/issues/3

> Adding the static API documentation pages should be easy,
> the old release might be more trouble if there are any hosting
> or file size limits we might hit...

On a related point, I don't think there is much point having a
snapshot of the code under the /SRC/ folder - the only reason
I've used it have been for a simple HTTP link to test files or the
licence. I think we can put a place holder page up directing
people to GitHub instead?