[Biopython] Reading from binary BLAST db

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 10:22:59 UTC 2015

Hi David,

If you run a BLAST search you can get the ID of a matched sequence
(and the matching region of the sequence). Using blastdbcmd you
can get the entire matching sequence from the BLAST DB using
their ID (or ask for multiple sequences by giving several IDs). The
sequences can be output in FASTA format.

Note Bio.Blast.Applications doesn't yet have a wrapper to help
calling blastdbcmd from within Python - that would be a nice addition.

Peter