[Biopython] Mapping positions in a pairwise alignment

Lior Glick liorglic at mail.tau.ac.il
Tue Jun 16 07:35:46 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have a pairwise alignment of protein sequences, created with Bio.pairwise2,
something like this:

C-GGLK-GAPFLAC||||||||||||||
CHG--KTGASFLQC

I would like to know which position in the subject sequence is aligned to
which position in the query sequence. In this example if the top sequence
is the subject than I would like to know that position 1 in subject is
aligned to position 1 in query, 2 is aligned to 3, 5 to 4, 6 to 6 etc...

Does Biopython have this functionality, or do I have to write my own
function? Any suggestions?

Thanks!