[Biopython] Is there any Biopython tool to degenerate a nucleotide sequence

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:16:22 UTC 2015

Hi Carlos,

Is the input always unambiguous nucleotides? If so should the
output for each "degenerate codon" consider of two unambiguous
nucleotides and a possibly ambiguous IUPAC code for the third
base?

Otherwise you can probably construct alternative answers with
an ambiguity code in the 1st or 2nd position (depending on the
genetic code).

e.g. TTA = Leucine with standard NCBI table 1
Also coding Leucine: TTG, CTT, CTC, CTA, CTG

Possible answer: TTA --> TTR meaning TTA or TTG
Alternative answer: TTA --> YTA meaning TTA or CTA

Peter