[Biopython] Phylo.draw_graphviz(tree) not showing node names

Jan Zaucha Jan.Zaucha at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 10:41:55 UTC 2015

Thanks Eric,

I'm using biopython 1.65 and networkx 1.9.1.

When I ran the commands you've proposed I still see the node names assigned:
[Clade(branch_length=2.0, name='foo'), Clade(branch_length=4.0, name='bar),
Clade(...), ... ]

I'm not sure what the source file format is, I created the tree myself from
a distance matrix, the examples I was looking at were importing trees
from PhyloXML. Here's the code I'm running, maybe this will help:

###################### testing graphviz
from Bio import Phylo
from Bio.Phylo.TreeConstruction import _DistanceMatrix
from Bio.Phylo.TreeConstruction import DistanceTreeConstructor
import pylab

names = ['foo', 'bar', 'cat', 'dog']
matrix = [[0], [1, 0], [2, 3, 0], [4, 5, 6, 0]]
m = _DistanceMatrix(names, matrix)
constructor = DistanceTreeConstructor()
tree = constructor.nj(m)
graph = Phylo.to_networkx(tree)
print graph.nodes()
Phylo.draw_graphviz(tree, prog="neato", node_size=50)
pylab.show()

I still don't understand where I'm going wrong.

Best wishes,
Jan