[Biopython] DOI for BioPython

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 19:29:13 UTC 2015

COI: I am a paper co-author.

My $0.02 is that citing the paper is much more beneficial for the project,
for the reason Leighton said: a highly cited paper does help justify work
on the project to funding agencies as well as institutions. Speaking for
myself, I have cited the paper in two funded grant applications, one which
has resulted in some code contribution (the GAF parser) and one which
hopefully will benefit Biopython as well (recently funded to do some work
on GO, need to talk about that in the dev list). As Leighton said, funders
& bosses judge importance by citation count. While Biopython is not
directly funded, some of us manage to spend some time on it using our own
grants.

To facilitate reproducibility, a major version citation is sufficient, IMO,
as those are archived. If you used some non-major version on github, you
can fork/clone the version of your liking to your own github,  assign it a
DOI yourself, and cite that. For reasons mentioned, I would advocate citing
both the paper and the DOI you have assigned.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM, <c.buhtz at posteo.jp> wrote:

> On 2015-12-22 16:38 João Rodrigues <j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What's better: citing the paper that describes the algorithm(s) or
> > the pull request that fixed a typo in the documentation?
>
> The latter because a DOI/Reference is about reproducibility.
> --
> GnuPGP-Key ID 0751A8EC

Iddo Friedberg
http://iddo-friedberg.net/contact.html