[Biopython] Iterate Entrez.esearch in Biopython

Jarrod Scott jjscott at uwalumni.com
Tue Dec 8 13:33:38 UTC 2015

Hello Peter,

Fantastic! Here is the modified code based on your recommendation with some
example genes/taxa. Seems to work exactly as it should. The nested for loop
was the key.Thanks so much for the assistance.

Jarrod

import sys
import time
from Bio import Entrez
Entrez.email = "jjscott at uwalumni.com"

list_of_species = ["Acrochaetium daviesii", "Anadyomene stellata", "Codium
decorticatum"]
list_of_genes = ["rbcL", "rps3", "tufA", "28S rRNA"]
for species in list_of_species:
    for gene in list_of_genes:
      terms = '"{0}"[orgn] AND {1}[Gene]'.format(species, gene)
      result = Entrez.esearch(db = 'nucleotide', term=terms)
      record = Entrez.read(result)
      record["Count"]
      record["IdList"]