[Biopython] Using Phylo to draw trees with images in nodes

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 17 13:41:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Jaime Tovar <jmtc21 at bath.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry, seems my google fu is low today. Have been trying to find information
> about a way to add small images next to the species names in trees generated
> with Biopython/Phylo. But I'm not even sure it is possible. I want to do
> something in the likes of trees produced with ETE2. I can't use ETE2 because
> of problems with the dependencies :(.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Jaime.

Hi Jaime,

Can you post a link to the kind of image you want to make? I'm not
familiar with ETE2 so I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for.
However, I suspect it is not yet possible with the Bio.Phylo code as it
is, but extending it or automating adding the images on top of the tree
output might be?

Which of the backends or image types are you hoping to use? e.g. SVG, PNG?