[Biopython] Deprecating Biopython's Bio.DocSQL module?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun May 25 17:57:47 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Is anyone using Bio.DocSQL in Biopython?

If not, I propose that we deprecate it with a few to removing
it in future. It was originally intended to make using databases
support Python's DB API easier to use (e.g. via MySQLdb).
I think this sort of thing is now much better handled via a mature
project like SQLalchemy.

Aside from "house keeping" due to changes in the Python language,
this code has not been touched since 2003, over ten years ago.

Assuming there are no objections, we will deprecate this code in
the imminent Biopython 1.64 release. See also:
http://biopython.org/wiki/Deprecation_policy

Thanks,

Peter

(P.S. This is quite separate from and unrelated to the BioSQL
support in Biopython)