[Biopython] Python equivalent of the Perl String::Approx module for approximate matching?

Kevin Rue kevin.rue at ucdconnect.ie
Wed Mar 12 18:28:53 UTC 2014

HI Tal,

To answer your question, I currently don't expect any deletion indeed. It
is possible that other users would like that feature, maybe me in the
future.
Therefore, this code could be a very convenient temporary fix that I could
include directly in the code as an annex function. Thank you very much.
I'll have a closer look at how it works to teach myself :)

You actually (positively) surprised me by taking this approach: I didn't
even think of taking the advantage of 0 deletions in my particular use case
! I can imagine that it does reduce the possible combination of edits. I
guess I was too impressed by the Perl function that seemed to be doing all
at once, but indeed code can be much simpler and faster when one takes
advantage of the known pre-conditions and specific use cases.
I can imagine that a master function could handle Sub, Del and Ins
together, but if Del=0 then it could call this one if it solves the
specific problem faster.

Now, in a moment of inspiration, am I wrong in saying that similarly, a
case where no insertion is allowed would be the same problem while
switching sequence1 and sequence2 in the function call?

PS: your updated fuzzysearch 0.2.0 package works great for its job. I just
haven't had time to check the documentation updates.

Cheers!

--
Kévin RUE-ALBRECHT
Wellcome Trust Computational Infection Biology PhD Programme