[Biopython] File format autodetection.

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:41:00 UTC 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> Biopython's SeqIO does not (and will not) do automatic file
> format detection, it is just too hard to get right so instead
> that's the user's task:
>
> Zen of Python: Explicit is better than implicit.
> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/
>
> (BioPerl's SeqIO can do format guessing)

(somewhat)

You are welcome to try it, but Bio::Tools::GuessSeqFormat is IMHO one of the misbegotten step-children of Bioperl; if you delve into it, you’ll find it also tries to guess whether something is a sequence or an alignment file.  My general feeling is that if you don’t know the source of your data (and from that the format) then there is only so much we can do to help.  Doing so from STDIN is even trickier.

So, it’s there, it works in most cases so we keep it around, but caveat emptor.  We really don’t really maintain that module any more than very routine bugs fixes.

> Your use case is one which highlights a technical reason
> why this is hard - you are using stdin, a read-once handle.
> You cannot peek at the file, guess the format, seek back to
> the beginning, and then give the handle to a specific parser.
>
> You could use Biopython's UndoHandle here, but it will
> impose a (modest) performance overhead.
>
> from Bio.File import UndoHandle
> help(UndoHandle)
>
> e.g. Use the .peekline() method to spot FASTA vs FASTQ?
>
> Peter

That seems like a pretty reasonable option.

chris