[Biopython] I've written a library for executing fuzzy searches...

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 09:14:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM, c0d3g33k <c0d3g33k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tal,
>
> This is only tangentially related to your original post, but I thought I'd
> point out the existence of Simmetrics, a Java-based similarity metrics
> library (GPL v2).  I thought that at some point there was a Python port,
> but I could be confusing that with using the library myself under Jython.
>  Though it is implemented in Java, it might provide a solid foundation for
> a python library/api should you find it interesting.  It's fairly
> comprehensive, so it might at least provide inspiration for extending your
> current efforts.  It seems to be unmaintained at present, but source code
> is available both at the original Sourceforge page and at github where
> someone cloned the project.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/simmetrics/
> https://github.com/Simmetrics/simmetrics

Hi,

There are already many libraries to compute vaiours distance metrics
between two strings, but that is not the purpose of the library I'm
developing (fuzzysearch). My goal is to build a library for searching in
strings or other sequences (e.g. DNA), allowing finding nearly matching
parts instead of just full matches.

- Tal