[Biopython] Versions of Python 3 to support in Biopython?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 30 13:54:41 UTC 2013

Hi Nick,

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Nick Lindberg <nlindberg at mkei.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The current production versions are Python 2.7.5 and Python 3.3.2.  Per
> Ivan's comments, I do not think you should drop support for 2.x when
> adding for 3.x.  However, I think it's completely fair that you should
> require the latest current production version of each (or at least put the
> caveat in that it's only been tested on 2.7.* and 3.3.*.

If I was unclear, we not talking about dropping support for Python 2
any time soon - the plan for Biopython 1.62 is to cover at least
Python 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3. We will continue to support Python 2
for a long time (i.e. at least one year, maybe more).

What I'm hoping to confirm is that very few people care about
Python 3.2 support - its good to know that so far everyone is
happy to target Python 3.3 onwards.

> If you need any help with the testing or compatibility, I'd be glad to
> help.
>
> Also, for any Mac users out there, I am working on a Homebrew formula for
> a package-install of Biopython.  More details incoming.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick Lindberg

Periodically running the unit tests on the latest code from git and
reporting any issues is always a good idea. We do try to do this
automatically via TravisCI and BuildBot, but this only covers a
fraction of the possible configuration permutations.

Testing under recent Windows machines including 64 bit Windows
would most appreciated - but requires more background knowledge
to setup the relevant compiler environments.

If you'd be interested in that or helping setup another buildslave
which we can run nightly tests on, please write to us on the
biopython-dev list for more details.

Thanks,