[Biopython] Error in biopython

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 30 08:26:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:34 AM, amit bikram <amitbikram87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I tried what u have written but it is not coming. here is the error

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '_file_'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> NameError: name 'Bio_version_' is not defined

Hi Amit,

There are some subtle and important differences:

import Bio
print Bio.__file__
print Bio.__version__

Those are all double underscores, and also there
should be a dot between the Bio and __version__.
You'll find double underscores are used in Python
for some special functions (which normally you won't
need to worry about).

The good news is the simple import seemed to
work - so if you can try again that will help answer
your original question about this failing:

from Bio.Seq import Seq

Right now my guess would be a broken install, or
you've got a file in the current directory called Bio.py
which is being imported instead of Biopython.

Regards,