[Biopython] How to install tests manually?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon May 6 08:21:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have just installed BioPython using defaults on Windows 7, and it seems
>> all tests files are missing. I've checked under:
>>
>> c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\Bio\
>>
>> against this directory
>>
>> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/tree/master/Tests
>>
>> How can I install the tests manually?
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> AFAIK, the Windows installer does not include the Test directory. If
> you would like to run the tests, you need to download the source,
> unpack it, and run it using `python setup.py test` from the top
> directory.
>
> Hope that helps :),
> Bow

Yes, that is correct - the Windows installers do not include the
source code (nor the compiled Tutorial as PDF and HTML).
We provide the source code bundles ZIP files to make this
easier for Windows users (where the Unix style tar-balls are
harder to decompress).

If you are interested in doing Biopython development running
the tests is a really good idea, but you'll also want to setup the
C compilers so you can build Biopython (assuming you are
using C Python, this would not apply to PyPy or Jython).