[Biopython] Taxonomic Classification tree

David Winter winda002 at student.otago.ac.nz
Sun Feb 10 21:16:53 UTC 2013

Hi Vincent,

It would probably be possible to do this with Biopython, either by

(a) searching the NCBI's taxonomy database with Eutils to get IDs, then
fetching the corresponding taxonomy records and extracting the complete
lineage for each of your taxa. You could find the "lowest shared taxon"
for each one an build a tree

(b) Read the whole NCBI taxonomy using Phylo, and extracting a subtree
with just your taxa

Both those are probably more work than you need to do though. The
Interactive Tree of Life page (http://itol.embl.de/other_trees.shtml)
can take taxon names or IDs and return a phylogeny.

You should be aware - taxonomy is a dynamic science, and assignments can
change. The NCBI taxonomy is curated by people that know what they're
talking about, but it's not a definitive tree of life or the result of a
particular phylogenetic analysis.

David

--
David Winter