[Biopython] Bio.PDB local MMCIF files

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:35:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM, João Rodrigues <anaryin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I understand your concern. Python has the gzip module that can decompress
> the files on the file and provide a handle for the content. This will not
> work for the parsers since they except a filename. I will have a look at
> the parsers code and if it's simple, I'll add a layer to do this exactly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> João

Yeah, most of Biopython's parsers take a handle only, some
like the top level functions in Bio.SeqIO, AlignIO, SearchIO
will take a filename or a handle for convenience.

I agree that is is unfortunate that Bio.PDB currently only takes
a filename (historical design choice). If we can tweak it to take
either a filename or a handle that would be much better :)

Regards,