[Biopython] error object is not callable, but callable() returns True

Romelia Salomon romeliasalomon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 23:43:52 UTC 2013

Hi

I am having problems using biopython on my laptop. I have Python version
v2.6 and I recently installed biopython 1.53-1 using synaptic (I am using
Ubuntu), but I can't get it to work right, I am having a problem running
even the examples in the tutorial.

When I try to use any of the command line wrappers I get an error saying
the object is not callable, even though when I check that same object with
callable() it does seem to be callable. For example:

mycomputer$ python
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Sep 26 2013, 18:48:04)
[GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
>>> from Bio.Align.Applications import MuscleCommandline
>>> muscle_cline = MuscleCommandline(input="opuntia.fasta")
>>> stdout, stderr = muscle_cline()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'MuscleCommandline' object is not callable
>>> callable(MuscleCommandline)
True

Thanks for your help!