[Biopython] Restriction enzymes and sticky ends

Mark Budde markbudde at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 17:25:24 UTC 2013

Thanks Peter, that explains it. BsaI is indeed a weird enzyme, a TypeIIs
restriction enzyme. These enzymes cut a defined distance outside of their
recognition sequence. The utility of these enzymes is that by tagging the
cut sites on the end of your primers, you can generate whatever sticky ends
you desire. Furthermore, because it cuts outside of its recognition
sequence, you can incubate a number of these fragments together with both
restriction enzyme and ligase, and the fragments will assemble into the
final product without subcloning. This is because stciky ends are generated
without the corresponding recognition site, so their ligation is
irreversible. This is called GoldenGate cloning.
-Mark