[Biopython] sff into fasta and qual -> trim

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:37:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Kiss, Csaba <csaba.kiss at lanl.gov> wrote:
> Thanks, Peter.
> I understand the fastq sequence extraction. That's very neat. However, I am not sure how to do quality trimming of the sequences.
> In mothur, we tested that qwindowsize=50, qwindowaverage=22 is a very nice way to get high quality sequences out.
> I assume it works in a way that a 50 bp sliding window checks the average quality and if it's below a certain number (i.e. 22) then it rejects the sequence if it's above it keeps it.
> Is there something similar in biopython.

Hi Csaba,

No, there isn't a 'ready to use' sliding window read cleaning tool/function
in Biopython, although you could write one using Biopython is you wished,
with the advantage that you can implement exactly what you need.

There are many (dozens?) of dedicated tools for this kind of thing
which might be simpler or more appropriate. Have a browse here:
http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Software/list

Regards,

Peter

P.S. Please CC the mailing list in your replies.