[Biopython] GSoC Application: "Representation and manipulation of genomic variants"

Reece Hart reece at harts.net
Wed Mar 21 16:01:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Chaitanya Talnikar <
chaitanya.talnikar at iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> I, Chaitanya Talnikar, am a third year Undergraduate student of
> Chemical Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology. I would like
> to work on the project "Representation and manipulation of genomic
> variants". ... Would a description of the internal
> representation be sufficient?

Hi Chaitanya-

I'm glad that you're interested in this project. There are many aspects of
variant representation that a student (or perhaps even multiple students)
might work on. Do not feel that you must tackle the entire project
description.

Before you spend a lot of time on an application, I suggest that you start
a new thread with a short description of what you'd like to accomplish and
questions you have. The BioPython community is a nurturing environment and
I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions about scoping the project.
Ultimately, we all want to help you write a successful application that
results in an important contribution to the community. You'll be the first
to initiate such a discussion, which gives you a wide-open opportunity.

Does this answer give you enough to proceed with initiating a discussion?

Thanks,
Reece