[Biopython] Bio.Phylo: writing newick trees with internal node names

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 22:11:25 UTC 2012

Hi Tanya,

In case you haven't solved this yet, could you post some small portion of
the Newick tree you're working with? It's possible that your tree is oddly
formatted, and the Newick parser isn't picking up the internal node labels
in the first place.

In the current version of Biopython (1.59), this seems to work fine:

from Bio import Phylo
# Example file from our test suite
tree = Phylo.read("Tests/Nexus/int_node_labels.nwk", "newick")
# Print to the console
print tree.format("newick")
# To write the tree to a file, this is preferred:
Phylo.write(tree, "my_new_file.nwk", "newick")

Cheers,
Eric