[Biopython] Bio.Phylo bugs & pain points

Mariam Reyad Rizkallah mrrizkalla at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:41:21 UTC 2012

Dear Biopython list,

I am facing similar problem with Phylo in the context of your thread. I am
using Biopython 1.58 - Ubuntu 32 bit system. I have created a newick using
phyml command-line and want to visualize it using Bio.Phylo. I read the
newick, draw_ascii and draw_graphiz perfectly but not draw(). I have
networkx, and pylab installed.

my_view_tree = Phylo.read("myseq.phy_phyml_tree.txt", "newick")
Phylo.draw_ascii(my_view_tree)
my_view_tree_xml = my_view_tree.as_phyloxml()
Phylo.draw(my_view_tree_xml, do_show=True, show_confidence=True, axes=None)

*Error:*

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "itree/itree2/iTree2.py", line 563, in view_tree
    Phylo.draw(my_view_tree_xml, do_show=True, show_confidence=True,
axes=None)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'draw'

Thank you.