[Biopython] download sequences by date from Genbank

Lifeng Lin linlifeng at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:20:46 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Is there an elegant way of downloading sequences from Genbank and using
date as a cutoff?

I am trying to maintain an up-to-date local version of all sequences for a
certain number of species. When "synching" with Genbank, all i can think of
is retrieving all GI numbers for these species once again, compare them
with what i have locally, and generate a list of new sequences and append
them. I have a hunch that there might be a better way of doing this, for
example, if there is a date filter that we can apply for Genbank download,
then all the trouble for comparisons would be saved.

Any suggestions?

best,
L.