[Biopython] searching homologene database

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:39:31 UTC 2012

Hi Sheila,

You can set the 'retmode' parameter in order to specify your preferred
format. I'm not sure if NCBI provides an output format exactly like
the one you see on their site, but instead of ASN.1 you can specify a
more common
format like XML.

In your case, the call would be this (for XML, let's say):

handle = Entrez.efetch(db="homologene", id=record['IdList'], retmode="xml")

For a list of possible retmode values, you can look them up here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25499/#chapter4.EFetch (see the
explanation about 'retmode').

If you want to format the output further, you can use modules like the
built-in elementtree or 3rd party modules like lxml to extract the tag
values and feed them to your script / program.

Hope that helps,
Bow