[Biopython] question on installation of BioPython on Mac OS 10.7

Sampson, Jared Jared.Sampson at nyumc.org
Wed Feb 29 20:56:53 UTC 2012

Hi Daria -

If the output of typing:

    which easy_install

in a terminal window gives a path, then you have easy_install on your machine already. So you could just type:

    sudo easy_install pip

When that finishes, run the commands from before to install numpy and biopython.

Pip and easy_install are both Python package managers, and the choice of one over the other is largely a matter of preference.  So if you'd rather not install pip, you could replace "pip install" with "easy_install" in those previous commands.

If that doesn't work (i.e. you don't have easy_install either), you can install pip or setuptools (which includes easy_install) by following the instructions on this website<http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/index.html> I gave the link to before, under 'installation instructions.'

Hope that helps,

Jared

--
Jared Sampson