[Biopython] [GSoC] OBF GSoC students weekly progress reports

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:55:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Lenna Peterson <arklenna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm very excited to be participating in GSoC '12 with Biopython!
>
> My development blog is on tumblr, which I chose primarily because it
> supports markdown syntax, which I'm used to from GitHub.
>
> Here's my gsoc12 tag: http://arklenna.tumblr.com/tagged/gsoc2012
>
> However, Tumblr doesn't allow post comments. Will I need to switch to a
> blog platform that allows comments?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lenna

Hi Lenna,

Great - you've got a blog already you're also the first student to reply :)

Blog comments could be nice, but personally in your shoes I'd
direct any discussion to the biopython(-dev) mailing list. e.g.

1. Post weekly update blog, get blog post URL
2. Send email with summary, including blog post URL
3. Goto mailing list archive, get archived email URL
4. Update blog post to link to email (and thus any thread from it,
at least for that month).

A little cumbersome, but it would save you moving your blog?

I'd actually be happier with most discussion on the biopython-dev
list rather than blog comments, or even github (which will still be
useful for things like code reviews).

This may be different for the other projects - I know BioRuby
uses IRC much more for example, but even there they've tried
to post archives of important IRC discussions to their mailing
list too.

Thank you!