[Biopython] double stranded sequence object / cloning simulation

Björn Johansson bjorn_johansson at bio.uminho.pt
Sun Apr 22 08:23:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am looking for a way to simulate cloning using python.

I was thinking of s script where you could combine two
sequence objects into a recombinant molecule.

Does anybody know if this has been done?

I think a good way to do that is to specify a double stranded sequence
object
where the topology and properties of the ends of the DNA molecule are
preserved in
a property of the object itself.

Has there been any attempts at this in biopyton or elsewhere?
I wouldnt want to reinvent the wheel here.

PyPI and google does not seem to give me anything on this.

I was thinking something along these lines:

>>> stuffer1, dsSeqobj1, stuffer2 = dsSeqobj1.digest(BamHI)

which creates a linear dsseq object with staggered ends.

>>>  clone_a, clone_b = ligate( dsSeqobj1, dsSeqobj2 )

would create two circular dsseq objects if the ends are compatible.

Any ideas along these lines?

cheers,
bjorn

--