[Biopython] Biopython Digest, Vol 105, Issue 14

Nasos Dousis ndousis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 23:16:16 UTC 2011

Frank,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.  I tried that command line with
ClustalW2 and a number of variations:

clustalw2 -sequences -profile1=mas_file.aln
-profile2=new_sequences.fas (.aln = clustal format)
clustalw2 -sequences -profile1=mas_file.aln -profile2=new_sequences.aln
clustalw2 -sequences -profile1=new_sequences.fas -profile2=mas_file.aln
clustalw2 -sequences -profile2=new_sequences.fas -profile1=mas_file.aln
clustalw2 -profile1=mas_file.aln -profile2=new_sequences.fas
clustalw2 -profile1=mas_file.aln -profile2=mas_file.aln
clustalw2 -profile1=mas_file.aln

etc

and I always get the following error:

[ndousis at linux-machine ~]$ clustalw2 -profile1=mas_file.aln
-profile2=new_sequences.aln

 CLUSTAL 2.1 Multiple Sequence Alignments

Sequence format is CLUSTAL
ERROR: There are no sequences in profile2 file.

Nevertheless, I implemented a simple version of Needleman-Wunsch to
align my sequence to the MSA and choose the highest scoring alignment.

Thanks and kind regards,
Nasos