[Biopython] Fwd: Some ideas to add functionalities to Bio.Blast

Marco Galardini marco.galardini at unifi.it
Sat Sep 3 10:33:01 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

i'm sending to you this e-mail in order to see if the BioPython
community may be interested in enhancing the features related to the
Blast package: i've been using it for quite a long time now and over the
months i've created a set of functions that may be useful to other
scientists using Blast through the BioPython interface.
To be a little more specific, it would be desirable to have some
functions to build a database (makeblastdb), to retrieve sequences from
a db (blastdbcmd), to have some statistics from the overall blast run
(average evalue, sequence identiy, ...) and most importantly some
Classes to perform some specific analysis like Bi-directional Blast Hits
(BBH) (which may be even genome-wide for comparative genomics purposes).
Do you think that features like that may be useful/needed by the
BioPython community? I would be really glad to give my contribution on
that issues.

Regards,
Marco Galardini

Marco Galardini
DBE - Department of Evolutionary Biology
University of Florence - Italy

e-mail: marco.galardini at unifi.it
www: http://www.unifi.it/dblage/CMpro-v-p-51.html
phone:  +39 055 2288249