[Biopython] downloading gnome Protein table

Sheila the angel from.d.putto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:47:04 UTC 2011

The problem is I have only the Refseq ID like NC_008390 and I don't have
Protein table ID (in this case CP000441.ptt) so I can't download the .ptt
file (as in ftp url
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genbank/genomes/Bacteria/Burkholderia_ambifaria_AMMD_uid13490/CP000441.ptt
 )

Also not all  Refseq IDs I have belongs to 'Bacteria'. So for ID
NC_004314 (just
an example) I have to change the ftp url as
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Protozoa/Plasmodium_falciparum/NC_004314.ptt

Downloading the *.gbk file may be an option (but later I need to convert
them into protein table) so I tried this

from Bio import Entrez
Entrez.email = "from.d.putto at gmail.com"
handle = Entrez.efetch(db="genome", id="NC_008390", rettype="gbk")
print handle.read()

The output shows me 'Nothing has been found'
I am not sure in which database I should look for id like NC_008390.
Moreover later-on I need to convert 'gbk' file to .ptt (or extract protein
information)